I planted some onion sets about a week ago, and they are starting to come in very nicely. Roughly half of the plants have broken the surface, so even if I don’t have any more sprout I will have a decent number of onions come harvest time.
I’ve been experimenting with a solar wax melter I hobbled together with things I had lying around the house. I am using a large glass jar with a glass lid and a dark-colored rag that the wax sits in. As the wax melts, it passes thru the cloth and falls to the bottom of the jar, where I collect it. So far, I’ve only rendered a small amount of wax of the handful of brace comb that I have removed from the hives.
My apple tree is in full bloom now, as is my cherry tree. I know for certain that it is getting well pollinated because I have seen a swarm of insects around the tree. I suspect that there are some of my honey bees in among the other insects, but there were so many, I couldn’t distinguish any honey bees. I know there were at least three types of bees: some small, likely solitary, bee, a large bumblebee and my honey bees.
I was a bit surprised to find out that the tree I thought was the cherry tree was in fact a pecan tree. I have had virtually no experience with identifying trees before a couple of months ago, so it is not that unexpected that I make a mistake. The pecan tree is not next to the other three pecans I know are on my property and is in between the apple and peach tree.
I am starting to harden off my vegetables. The peas have gotten so tall that they should really be staked and for that, they need to be in the ground. So I have started lugging all the pots out of the greenhouse after work and lugging them back into the greenhouse before I stop for the day. I am doing this in the hope of preventing transplant shock after putting the plants in the ground outside. How well that will work is another matter entirely.