Today, as soon as the sun came out, I had a swarm in my peach tree. I am certain the bees swarmed today as I was out working in the yard an hour earlier, and they were not in the tree then.
I am fairly certain that the swarm came from second of my two hives. I’ve added another super onto that hive in cause that is not the case, but I doubt that it didn’t swarm. I won’t be certain until I do a full hive inspection that will have to wait until my brother-in-law can come to help with lifting the hive bodies. When they are full and have propolis all over them, they are too heavy for me to lift alone.
The good news is that this time, it appears the bees are staying in the temporary hive I set up. I won’t declare it completely captured until it hangs arround for a week or so. The other swarm I’ve seen this summer promptly left the hive I set up. In that case, I have no idea how long they had been in the tree and they were likely close to deciding on a new home when I tried to capture it.
So it is very likely that both of the hives on my property swarmed this year. I home that they requeen soon enough to get a decent honey surplus. If not, I would just be happy to have all the hives survive the requeen and the winter this year. I know it is still a long ways off, but if I am not mindful now, it could fail later.
Hindsight being 20:20, I should have added another super sooner. That would have probably kept the hive from swarming, assuming that it did indeed swarm. Being very new at this, I am not surprised that I had something like this happen. The other thing I have worried would happen is to have the hives die on me. I will learn from this and hopefully only have this happen in the future when I want it to.