Yesterday, I tried making frames for a beehive from scrap 2×4, a table saw, a miter saw and a sheet of plans. I wasn’t able to make everything I wanted because I ran out of time. But I managed to make ten top bars, ten bottom bars, and started twenty-two deep side bars and completed one of them.
I only had about two hours to spend learning how to use a table saw in somewhat creative ways, making several mistakes, and then finally making usable products. All without loosing any fingers. For which I am glad. I won’t have another chance to make frames for another two weeks, so I had to break down and order new hive parts for the larger of the two swarms. The smaller swarm can probably last a while before I need to expand its hive.
Speaking of hives, all the hives currently have laying queens. David was here today to help me inspect all four hives. The blue hive finally requeened itself and there are eggs in at least two full frames. The green hive is still filling supers and drawing out comb. The one frame with no foundation in it at all still has nothing in it. I will be putting some foundation in it sometime in the next week.
The larger of the two swarms is doing exceptionally well. It is quickly drawing out frames. The bottom of that hive is made up of an open box. I suspect that the bees will start filling that with comb before I get in the hive body parts, so I will be learning first hand how to do a cut out.
The queen of the smaller hive was spotted today, along with eggs and larva. It has also done a good job of pulling out the foundation, but for some reason it started at one side of a super. It has expanded the brood nest to three frames and is working on a fourth. The frames with bees got moved to the center of the super in the hope the bees will expand the brood nest more quickly that way.