Honey Harvest!

The results of the honey harvest, minus one quart given away by the time I took this picture.

I finally have my first honey harvest.  My brother-in-law, David, came over today to help with the harvest.  I had hoped that the Green hive would have filled out the super, but did not.  We ended up taking only five frames out that super.  We got two more super frames out of one of the swarm hives, one from the White hive, and two deep frames from the Blue hive.  So far, the honey harvest it seven quarts and one pint of honey.

Tangential extractor in the kitchen just after being built and before the tarp was put down.

The whole process was very messy.  Even with a tarp covering most of the kitchen floor, we still got honey all over the place. I’m still not sure what was the messiest part of the process, flipping the frames over or uncapping the frames.  Both ended up putting a lot of honey on the floor where we could step in it and track it around the room.  I still have honey all over my clothes from the work.  At least I didn’t have to spin the extractor by hand as it used an electric drill to spin. I’m sure I could have done the extraction by hand, but it would have taken at least twice as long as it did and likely much longer when I tired.

Capping wax and the several pieces of comb that came off because I ran the extractor too fast.

After all the honey we could easily get had been bottled, we took all the equipment outside and set it down near the hives, where it will stay for the next day or two so the bees can clean it up.  All the frames that had been extracted have been returned to the bee hives. Once the bees have cleaned up the equipment, I will start running the wax thru the solar wax melter I built earlier this year.  If the small amount of wax put in the melter today is any indication, the wax should go thru very quickly.  This is good because this time, I have a lot more wax than I have had previously.  Because the deep frames were too large to fit in the extractor, they had to be extracted using crush and strain, which leaves a lot of wax.

Bad laying pattern and dead larvae…

Unfortunately, today wasn’t all good news.  While pulling out some frames from the White hive, we discovered all is not well in the brood nest.  Several cells housed dead larvae and after consulting online sources, it looks like it may be European Foulbrood.  We have already ordered some terramycin, which will be given to the hive as soon as it arrives.  I’m just glad it is not American Foulbrood.  If that were the case, I would have to burn the hive.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Honey Harvest!

    • Looks like shook swarm may be an effective, non-medicinal treatment for EFB. I’ll keep it in mind if the Terramycin doesn’t work or if I get another bout of EFB after the hive is treated.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s