I got back from another business trip to the east coast Wednesday and have been trying to get caught up around the house since then. On Thursday evening, I discovered a swarm of bees clinging to a dead juniper tree. This is actually the second swarm this year. I found the first on the ground under the apple tree while it was nearly freezing outside, and I suspect that swarm died from exposure. For this hive, I put out a hive body to try to entice the bees to move there without me having to do much work. All yesterday, there were bees over at the hive body checking things out. This afternoon I found the bees have left the tree and I suspect they have moved into the hive body, but I don’t want to disturb the hive for a few days. There is some minor traffic at the hive’s entrance, but not enough to be definitive.
The garden is starting to grow well. The irises are blooming in just about every possible color.
While I was gone, the garden has started to take off. The lettuce and radishes I planted before I left have sprouted and are starting to grow. unfortunately, so have the weeds. I have spent most of the time since I have returned home pulling weeds from the garden. The most annoying is certainly Bermuda grass. It is very prolific and also difficult to remove. I have more than half the garden still to weed.
Since returning home, I have planted Jericho lettuce, some potatoes that were no longer edible on the counter, mammoth sunflowers, and okra. I also put flower seeds in the front beds along with chives as a border. I want the front beds to be a bit more colorful than the green and brown, but mostly brown, color they were last year.
I went out to work weed the garden a couple of days ago to find that some of the Irises that I received from my Grandparents in Utah are starting to bloom. I planted these about mid-summer last year and they grew through-out the year. Now, some of the larger plants are starting to bloom. The whole thing is rather exciting, because I have no idea what colors I am going to get.
A line planted with radishes right next to the surviving 16 garlic plants.
I still have quite a bit of space in the garden, so today I spent some time filling things in. I planted several lines of radishes and lettuce. The lettuce mainly went right next to the flowers where I don’t have to worry about pulling up a root crop disturbing the flowers. The radishes went into places where digging them up is not going to be an issue. I’m trying to fill up the garden as best I can so that I can get a good harvest and also so that I can crowd out weeds. I would be very happy if the weeds had no space to grow.
One of the peaches that survived the late frost that killed the blossoms.
A few of the peaches survived a late cold snap are now starting to get large enough to actually determine how much was lost. I estimate that I will be getting about 20 to 40 times fewer fruit from the peach tree this year. It remains to be seen if the fruit decide to grow larger this year to compensate. I plan to skip thinning the tree of fruit like I did last year in an attempt to get larger fruit.
The weather this year has been very difficult. We have had several late cold snaps that keep killing early plantings and flower blossoms. I haven’t planted a lot of crops out of fear they will end up getting killed. The tomatoes and the peppers are still in the greenhouse. The cold has also ended up stunting the growth of plants along with germination rates. About the only things that seem invulnerable to the cold are the perennials, the garlic and the peas.