It has been a busy week so far and this has been the first opportunity I have had to write about my progress. Last Saturday, I was able to spread all the compost I had over the top of the garden. The endeavour took nearly the entire day to do and left me with several bruises where I kept running the five gallon buckets into my legs and arms. The bruises are just now starting to fade. This was the entire reason I had started making compost: to amend the soil so it is more fertile, hold moisture better and plant easier. This may also act as a mulch to help suppress weeds. (When I think of mulch, wood chips spread over a flower bed come to mind, and not compost)
Also on Saturday, I started the first seeds of the year in the greenhouse. I started the same variety of tomatoes that I grew last year. These are not seeds I saved from last years crops, but rather left over seeds that I purchased last year. I plan on starting some of the seed I saved later on once I know I will have as many plants as I want.
I also started some pepper seeds that I bought this year from Terroir Seeds. There was only 23 seeds in the packet and I am trying to start them all, two per pot, so I’m hoping that I get at least a couple of plants that I can save seed from. Otherwise, I will probably end up trying a different pepper variety next year. Last year I tried to grow green bell peppers, but I never got anything to sprout.
On Monday, the tires I ordered for the band saw came in, several days earlier than I was expecting them. Actually getting the tires on the wheels was rather difficult, because they were about an inch shorter than the wheel’s circumference. Thankfully, the tires stretched and were able to fit, but if I ever need to remove them, I will be doing it with a knife because I doubt I could get them off whole.
I was able to start making some frames for a super and I got six sides finished and started on six top bars before I it got too cold in the unheated shed for me to work. I should be able to fabricate every part of the frame except the bottom bar with the band saw. For the bottom, I need to make a groove along the entire length of the bar, which will probably require a table saw or a router as I cannot think of a way to make that cut with a band saw.