I got back from another business trip to the east coast Wednesday and have been trying to get caught up around the house since then. On Thursday evening, I discovered a swarm of bees clinging to a dead juniper tree. This is actually the second swarm this year. I found the first on the ground under the apple tree while it was nearly freezing outside, and I suspect that swarm died from exposure. For this hive, I put out a hive body to try to entice the bees to move there without me having to do much work. All yesterday, there were bees over at the hive body checking things out. This afternoon I found the bees have left the tree and I suspect they have moved into the hive body, but I don’t want to disturb the hive for a few days. There is some minor traffic at the hive’s entrance, but not enough to be definitive.
While I was gone, the garden has started to take off. The lettuce and radishes I planted before I left have sprouted and are starting to grow. unfortunately, so have the weeds. I have spent most of the time since I have returned home pulling weeds from the garden. The most annoying is certainly Bermuda grass. It is very prolific and also difficult to remove. I have more than half the garden still to weed.
Since returning home, I have planted Jericho lettuce, some potatoes that were no longer edible on the counter, mammoth sunflowers, and okra. I also put flower seeds in the front beds along with chives as a border. I want the front beds to be a bit more colorful than the green and brown, but mostly brown, color they were last year.