I’ve been working like crazy over the past two weeks because the grapes decided to ripen last week and the peaches decided it was time to ripen this week. I ended up not being in the mood to post anything last week because I managed to cut the tip of one of my fingers. Two weeks and a preventative Tetanus shot later, my just about completely healed. I’ve hurt myself more in the eight months since I’ve moved here and started gardening than the previous two or three years.
For the most part, the grapes ended up being frozen. This was the simplest way and while they wouldn’t do very well with a power outage, they will otherwise be fine and it gave me time to take care of other things. A portion of the grapes I turned into grape juice that I later used for canning peaches.
The first batch of peaches filled four five-gallon buckets full. And that ended up being only about half of the harvest. Tuesday and Wednesday were spent busy pealing, pitting, heating and canning all the peaches I could. Not all of the peaches were good. A number of them were partially eaten by some large ants while they were still on the tree and several were partially rotten or otherwise bad and had to be discarded.
Even after throwing away a lot of the peaches, I ended up with four and a half gallons of canned peaches. As of now, I have six quarts and twenty-two pints of peaches canned. I am definitely going to need to start making peach cobbler and start looking for other peach recipes. It is not much use to can so many peaches and have them go bad before they can be eaten.
I got another three five-gallon buckets full of peaches again today. I plan on spending a large portion of Saturday pealing, pitting, heating and canning peaches. I am not sure how much this will end up as, but the majority of this will be going into quart-sized jars.