Zucchini, Pumpkin and Squash Bugs

The two zucchini I picked today. My hand for size reference.

Today, I harvested the first two zucchini from my garden.  One of the two I probably should have picked a couple of days ago, but at least it is done now.  I weighed them together in my spring scale and got 0.91±0.07 lbs.  Figuring out that amount has me questioning the accuracy of my scale calibration.  It is still better than no scale at all.

A nice-sized pumpkin.

I found that one of the pumpkins is growing very well.  I have no idea if I will be able to get any food from these.  The pumpkin the seed came from was used as a jack-o-lantern.  The whole plant was an accident as I never intended to plant pumpkins.  There were some pumpkin seeds in the compost I brought with me from my previous residence that decided to start growing out of the compost pile.  Next year, I will be putting them into a more convenient location that doesn’t get in my way when I try access the compost pile.

Squash bugs on my pumpkin plant.

I found some bugs about a week ago on one of my zucchini plants.  Today, I found some on the pumpkin plant.  In both cases, my response was to squash all the bugs I could get my hands on and to remove any eggs I found.  Turns out these are squash bugs.  For now, my response to these pests will be to squash all the bugs I can get my hands on.  If it gets beyond my ability to keep up with them, I will probably get either diatomaceous earth or pyrethrin.  Both of these are almost non-toxic substances.  The first is fossilized shells of microscopic organisms and the latter is extracted from the seed pods of Chrysanthemums and both are safe for use around bees.

Advertisements